There is a great Buddha in what is particularly famous in Nara.
Big Buddha was built around 1300 years ago.
Emperor Shomu ordered the establishment of the Great Buddha in 743.
At first the Great Buddha was planned to be built in Shigaraki (present Shiga prefecture).
However, as disasters occurred frequently, it was changed to be established in Nara in 745.
Priest Roben and priest Gyoki were greatly active in the establishment.
It was priest Roben that played an active part in the religious aspect.
It was priest Gyoki that was active in collecting donations and workers.
The Great Buddha was completed in 752.
After that, the Great Buddha and the Buddha hall were destroyed in 1180 by the war.
And priest Chogen rebuilt in 1185 with the cooperation of the Kamakura shogunate.
In 1567 the Buddha statue was destroyed again.
It is priest Kokei who started this reconstruction.
However, the reconstruction was completed in 1692 after the death of priest Kokei.
It is approximately 1.4 mile (2300 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.9 mile (1500 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Nandaimon gate of Todaiji Temple.
It is approximately 1.6 mile (2600 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 1 mile (1600 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Great Buddha hall of Todaiji.
The Great Buddha Hall
Nandaimon Gate(Great South Gate)
Hokkedo Hall (Sangatsudo Hall)
Sanmaido Hall (Shigatsudo Hall)
Big Bell Tower (Nara Taro)
Site of the Lecture Hall
Tea houses by the Nigatsudo Hall
The restaurant called Todaiji Emado-chaya
The Nara National Museum opened as an Imperial Nara Museum in 1895.
Cultural assets centering on Buddhist art are displayed here.
The exhibition called Shosointen is held every autumn, and a large number of arts and crafts centered around the Tempyo era (around the 700's) are exhibited.
It is approximately 1.2 mile (1900 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.7 mile (1100 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Nara National Museum.
When the capital moved to Heijo-kyo in 710, it is the beginning of this shrine that the god of ice was enshrined in Kasuga Mountain by the command of Emperor Genmei.
It was moved to the present place in 860.
The shrine has many devout worshippers who make ice.
A festival named Kenpyosai is held on May 1 every year.
It is approximately 1.2 mile (2000 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.7 mile (1200 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Himurojinja shrine.