The origin of Kofukuji Temple is the Yamashinadera Temple that was in Yamashiro country(present southern part of Kyoto Prefecture.).
When Kamatari Nakatomi-no (Kamatari Fujiwara-no on the day before death) is seriously ill, Yamashinadera Temple was built in 669 to pray for his recovery of his illness by his wife.
(Kamatari Nakatomi-no is a meritorious person who regained back the administration from the Soga family to the Emperor.)
When the capital was transferred to Asuka in 673, Yamashinadera Temple also moved to its vicinity.
(Asuka was a part of the current Asuka village.)
And it came to be called Umayasakadera Temple according to the place name.
Kamatari Fujiwara-no had an excellent son named Fuhito.
Fuhito was also active for Emperor.
In 710 the capital was transferred to Heijo-Kyo.
(Heijo - kyo was part of the present Nara city and part of Yamatokoriyama city.)
In accordance with this, Umayasakadera Temple also moved to the present place and became the name Kofukuji.
Fuhito died in 720.
Kofukuji Temple was family temple of Fujiwara, but the Emperor built Nan'endo Hall for memorial.
After that, Fujiwara family had power as an aide of the Emperor even after the capital moved to Kyoto.
And the power of Kofukuji Temple became bigger.
Syncretism of Shinto and Buddhism was advanced from around the year 1000.
Kofukuji Temple also began to be operated together with Kasuga Taisha Shrine.
The power of Kofukuji tempered a little when politics came to be carried out by samurai since around 1600.
In the Meiji era the government separated Shinto and Buddhism.
(It is from 1868 to 1912 in the Meiji era.)
Haibutsu Kishaku (a movement to abolish Buddhism) was started.
Temples in various places were destroyed.
Kofukuji Temple was also in danger of survival.
Since around 1900 the national cultural property protection policy began, Kofukuji Temple was able to escape the destruction.
It is approximately 0.7 mile (1200 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.3 mile (500 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Nan'endo hall of Kofukuji temple.
Site of the Nandaimon Gate
Site of the Saikondo Hall
National treasure Hall
Hitokoto Kannon Hall
Oyuya(Great Bath House)
Bodai'in Omido Hall
The Kofukuji temple had been big
Sarusawaike Pond was built about 1,300 years ago as a pond for the Houjoe of the Kohfukuji temple. The hojoe is that the captured fish release into a pond as a Buddhist ceremony prohibiting the killing."
On the lake side of Sarusawa Pond is a monument of Kinukake-yanagi.
There is a legend about a lady in Sarusawa pond.
Kinukake-yanagi is related to the legend.
It is approximately 0.7 mile (1200 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.5 mile (800 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Sarusawaike Pond.
There is a small shrine named Unume-jinjya Shrine near Sarusawa-ike Pond.
This shrine is a little different from other shrines.
What the torii gate that should be in front of the building is behind!
It is approximately 0.7 mile (1100 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.3 mile (500 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to Unumejinjya Shrine.
Isagawa Jinja Shrine
Autumn leaves near Kofuku-ji temple on Sanjo-dori street
The erstwhile zero milestone of Nara prefecture
Gokosatsuba(the site of the notice board)
Kintetsu Nara Station
Higashimuki Shopping Mall
Daiso of 100-yen shop
Mochiidono Centergai(Mochiidono Shopping Mall)