Kasuga Taisha shrine was created around the time when the capital was built in Nara about 1,300 years ago.
God Takemikazuchinomikoto was greeted from the present Kashima in Ibaraki Prefecture to mountaintop (was called Ukigumonomine) of Mikasayama mountain, and he was enshrined there.
It is said that God Takemikazuchinomikoto rode a white deer at that time.
Therefore, deer are being cherished in Nara.
In 768, under the order of Emperor Shotoku, Minister Fujiwara built four temples in the present place.
God Takemikazuchinomikoto was enshrined there, andGod Futsunushinomikoto and God Amenokoyanenomikoto and God Himegami were also enshrined.
After that, royalty and aristocracy came to visit there frequentry, and Kasuga Taisha faith spread even to samurai and common people, and it became until 3000 branches of Kasugataisha shrine were made all over the country.
In addition, Kasugataisha Shrine is also famous for having lots of fishing lanterns and stone lanterns (about 3000).
It is approximately 0.9 mile (1500 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 0.5 mile (850 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to the first torii gate of Kasuga Taisha shrine.
It is approximately 1.8 miles (2900 m) from JR Nara station and approximately 1.4 mile (2300 m) from Kintetsu Nara station to the main shrine of Kasuga Taisha Shrine.
There is about 0.87 mile (1,400 m) from the first torii to the main shrine
of Kasuga Taisha Shrine.
There are many stone lanterns on the approach road, and there are many deer.
The Rokuen is a deer protection facility.
There are exhibits such as panels to learn about the ecology and history of deer.
You can also observe the deer that is protected in the Rokuen.
It is near the middle of the approach road.
It is a botanical garden opened in 1932 and has a size of about 7acres (about 3 hectares).
There are about 300 kinds of plants in the botanical garden.
Those plants were written in Manyoshu(the oldest anthology of Japanese poem).
It is in the middle of the approach road.